Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Fried Green Tomatoes

Pin It
Yes I love the movie.
Yes I love the food.
 
At this time of year, when so many tomatoes are coming in, it's nice to find recipes using green tomatoes, and this is one of my (and everyone's) favorites.
I don't make them frequently because they're not exactly health food (surprise!),
but they are a much appreciated treat when I do make them.
 
A lot of recipes use cornmeal. Mine doesn't.
Other than that, I have to say it's pretty straight forward.
I like to use tomatoes that are still green (obv), but are just starting to turn (they're not so tart that way).
 
Slice them about 1/2 inch thick.
You want them thicker for frying.
This recipe is for about 3 medium tomatoes.
 
Let them sit on a paper towel for a bit so some of moisture comes out.
They'll be easier to bread that way.
 
Then, dip them in a flour dredge:
about 1/2 cup flour, salt, pepper, and a heaping teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning.
Shake off extra.
 
Dip in milk mixture:
about 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1 beaten egg, more salt, pepper, and Old Bay.
 
Dip in breadcrumbs:
This is where most southerners would have some cornmeal.
I just use panko bread crumbs. They fry the best.
 
Then fry in oil for about 3-5 minutes on each side until each side is golden brown and your tomatoes are just beginning to soften, but not turn mushy.
Do this in batches so your oil stays hot.
 
Then place on a paper towel to cool a bit. Hit them with salt right out of the oil.
 
Serve them with tobasco (our choice), remoulade, on a sandwich, in a quesadilla (yes I have dont this. so good), plain, whatever... they would taste good on a tire.
 
My favorite: use as them at the "T" on a BLT and add sliced avacado and a fried egg.



YOU'RE WELCOME.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your feedback! I would love to hear what you have to say.

If you are entering a comment for a giveaway, please be sure to post a comment for EACH entry where more than one entry qualify. Thanks!