Thursday, May 24, 2012

Why, Aphids? Why?

Pin It
Amongst the many questions that I will ask God when if I get to heaven,
one of them will most certainly be:
Why did you create aphids?

Aphids are pesky little green bugs that love SUPER love pepper and tomato plants.
You'll often find them on the bottom sides of the leaves,
and if you don't take care of them quickly, they'll be the demise of your garden.

I started many of my vegetable plants from seed this year, 
and overall it's been a success
with two exceptions:
tomatos and peppers.





The tomato seedlings died awhile ago and had nothing to do with aphids at all,
rather with me leaving them in the hands of my husband while I left for a long weekend.

The peppers, though, I can COMPLETELY blame on aphids.
Some of them made it through to planting, though, and luckily I caught the problem pretty early on.

The only good thing about having an aphid problem is that they are pretty easy to get rid of.

There are a lot of sprays that you can use, and most of them treat the problem (kill kill kill the aphids) rather quickly.

But I'm always weary of using any chemical sprays on plants that my family and I are hoping to eat at some point.
So, I've tried a couple of different organic sprays, and this is my favorite:

Note: if you buy a spray bottle with a little filter at the bottom,
you don't have to strain the garlic out of the solution.
Organic Aphid Spray:

Fill a spray bottle (under a dollar at most home improvement and discount stores) with water about 3/4 of the way to the top,
add a squirt of biodegradable dish soap,
and a couple cloves of garlic, minced.

Mix it all together, let it sit overnight for greater strength,
and spray it on your plants.

You can use it pretty liberally,
and you might have to go back a couple of times.


The dish soap will kill the aphids
and the garlic will deter them altogether.

Be sure when you spray your plants to get under the leaves since that's where aphids love to hang.


Hope this helps you all!
Things are looking great in the garden, and I'm hoping to have an update of the progress up soon.




11 comments:

  1. We have a huge charity garden that my church does, I cant wait to mix up a batch of this and try it out! Thank you for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I should mention: try to use it when the sun isn't so direct so your leaves don't scorch, especially if it's a young plant. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I'm making it today!

      Delete
  2. I just discovered these bugs on my tomato plants. I'll try it today. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will it impact bees? Have (well, had) an awesome milkweed plant, ended up covered in aphids... just don't want to be messing with my awesome bees/butterflys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see your update. How did this work for you in the long run?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find the Aphids attack my eggplants BIG time, although they were infesting my pepper plants as well. I really laid it on my eggplant (the spray) and ended up killing the eggplant. Some leaves dropped off the pepper plants too, but they are making a come back. I may have used too much garlic?? I used the minced kind from the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your feedback! I would love to hear what you have to say.

If you are entering a comment for a giveaway, please be sure to post a comment for EACH entry where more than one entry qualify. Thanks!