Thursday, May 16, 2013

Nursery Bedding Project [Links to Free Tutorials]

Pin It
A friend asked me to make some custom nursery bedding for her firstborn.
She picked out all of the fabrics to match the nursery,
and I've been chipping away at making the different pieces for the past few months between other orders.


Nursery bedding, I have found, can be frustrating to purchase because the affordable sets are all pretty ugly, and the pretty stuff is expensive! I was lucky enough to have my mom make a whole set of crib and cradle  bedding with extra sheets and matching blankets to my exact taste. I know. She's the best.

So I totally understood the request for something custom made with her choice of fabrics.
Everything came out so well,
and, even better, I was able to use some free online tutorials for everything.
So I thought I would share the wealth and pass the tutorials along to you all.
Altogether, I made three fitted sheets, a set of bumper pads, a window valance, and an adjustable crib skirt. So here we go!


Bumper Pads
Had to start with these because they were the most fun to work on.



You can find the free tutorial here.


They were actually easier than I anticipated, and if you're a newbie to piping, this would be a great project for you to try it out, in my opinion, because you work with the piping in small sections instead of one long continuous strip. Also, if you want to make the piping super simple, you can use pre-made bias tape.










I also liked that you can utilize two different prints for the bumpers and a third fabric for the piping and straps.
Because the pads are separate, they are easier to fit in the washer, and if you're tired of one print on the inside, you can switch them around, alternate them, and whathaveyou. I know, I'm wild.






Fitted Sheets
These were pretty straightforward.
You can find the directions here.
The one thing I will say about these is that you want to double check that your fabric of choice is at least 45" wide, because you'll need all of it including the selvage.
Standard width fabrics won't cut it... Actually, you will have to cut it and piece it together and it's a pain... trust me. I did it.




Valance
Sorry... the only pic I have of this is with my iPhone camera.
I have to say, while this one wasn't very complicated, it was pretty tedious... especially for the impatient sewist of quick projects (me).
The bright side, though, is that it is a genuine "real" window treatment, and you'll appreciate the quality the design even after all the extra steps and hand sewing.
Click here for the tutorial.





Adjustable Crib Skirt




This was SUPER simple. And great considering that more cribs nowadays have all different heights and stuff.
Essentially, you just make fabric panels for each side of the crib (be sure to get accurate measurements), and then you clip them or pin them to your mattress spring or board. Adjust as you go. Awesome.





How to measure for you fabric cuts: for the long sides of the crib, measure from one side of your mattress spring or board to the other. Add 2 inches. For the short side, do the same. These will be your cut lengths.
For the height, you'll want to measure from the floor to the highest setting of your mattress. Add 6 inches. This allows for your hemming and an additional 4 inches so you have something to clip underneath the mattress. The height will be the same for all four sides, obviously.
Cut your pieces, then finish each side by ironing over 1 inch (twice) and top stitching for each side. You should have four simple rectangles that fit nicely on the bottom of your crib. :)
So there you have it!
I'm happy with all of these tutorials, and I'm happy to pass them along to you!
Sewing for babes is fun, yes?


2 comments:

  1. i am so glad you posted this b/c I want to make a crib skirt for the new baby. thank you so much, i feel like this is something that i can definitely do. the other baby bedding, not so much. . i am impressed with your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is quite interesting to read this post and yes,finding the Custom Nursery Bedding for new born baby is very difficult task and it is very time consuming too.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your feedback! I would love to hear what you have to say.

If you are entering a comment for a giveaway, please be sure to post a comment for EACH entry where more than one entry qualify. Thanks!